Sunday, June 3, 2012

Mickey Mouse Cake!

For the first party, we bought a cake from our favorite bakery.  For the second party, I decided I wanted to try to make a Mickey Mouse cake.  I bought the shaped pan, which came with directions on how to frost it to look like Mickey.  I had NO experience with using different tips or anything like that, I have only ever used a spatula to ice my cakes!  

I did some searching online and found a suggestion of using crushed up oreos for Mickey's ears. I then went to Wal-Mart on a mission to find a cookie that would work for Mickey's skin tone.  I came across Golden Oreos (didn't even know these existed).  I bought white and black decorating icing for the eyes and mouth.  For Mickey's tongue, I just added some red food coloring to some buttercream icing.

The cake wasn't that hard to make, just time consuming.  I thought it turned out pretty well and Kylie happily yelled "Ka" when she saw it!

I wasn't sure that the Mickey cake would be big enough to serve everyone, plus I wasn't sure how well it would actually turn out, so I made a second cake as a back-up.  This one I just used various things to decorate the top.

Both cakes turned out well and they both tasted pretty yummy also!


No comments: